Thursday, May 17, 2012

366 Days

The most difficult thing one has to face when working for oneself, is the daily, sometimes, hourly, emotional roller coaster ride that is self-employment. One moment might be spent rejoicing in the freedom of not having a structured schedule, and the next spent going through the checkbook, realizing there is approximately $5 left for the week. And it is only Tuesday. Or doing a victory dance because a client is thrilled with the work that was just produced, only to receive a phone call a few minutes later that you lost an account for what appears to be no reason at all.

There have been times in my first full year of self-employment that I considered changing direction, even taking a job to help pay the bills because nothing was coming in. But my husband repeatedly has said he would not want me to go back to work for someone else. He's right. I don't think I could do it.

People told me it would take a year to just figure out what I am doing. I didn't believe them but they were right. They also said I wouldn't make any real money for five years. God, I hope they are wrong on that one.


This May, I celebrate one year of full-time self-employment. It is not for the faint of heart for sure. An incredible support system has kept me in the game. Many mistakes and bad decisions have been made. I have also done a few things right. Like ask for help when I needed it.

Thank you everyone who has been there in front, behind, or beside me this past year. I thank God every day for my family and friends, because when things are tough, it only takes one person to say, "I believe in you".

No comments:

Post a Comment