Monday, April 23, 2012

Secret to Success? It is for me.

Why would a sleep-deprived mom-apreneur get up at the crack of dawn, namely 5:00 am? I mean honestly, we all know the benefits of a good night's sleep; resistance to illness, decreased chances of heart disease, diabetes, and obesity, better brain function and mental health, yadda, yadda, yadda. I get it. Sleeping in can feel good, especially when you are not rushed and have no plans. Believe it or not, I don't really get to enjoy that experience. Once in a while the stars align and the kids sleep until 7am and we have nowhere to go before 10am. My REM sleep goes beserk and I have terrible dreams about my kids being kidnapped or lost in a crowd. I know, right?

So sleeping in isn't all it is cracked up to be. At least for me. I will be old one day and can sleep all I want. For now, I get up most days at 5:00 am. On purpose. I used to exercise, but the treadmill wakes everyone up, defeating the purpose. Now, instead, I make coffee, turn on my laptop, and work. Am I crazy? No. I get about two hours of normal work done in about an hour. I am fresh, rested (as rested as I am going to be), and distraction-free. That is, of course, until a little man in Spiderman pajamas comes down the hall with his new ambulance he earned from going potty 12 times. Then it's time to cuddle in front of the wood stove. Love being up early.

No comments:

Post a Comment