Monday, January 9, 2012

New Year New Fear


As the second week of January begins, I find myself in a familiar place. Not a place I enjoy being in, but familiar nonetheless. After a full week of goal setting, planning, budgeting, and the like, I now see the enormous to do list that sits in front of me. Slightly overwhelming. Good thing I don't have to get it all done today.

Most people say that when a person doesn't meet their goals it is because the person is afraid of failure. I submit that the opposite is the case. Because it can take us in completely new and uncharted territory, success can be scary. Every day is new and different and unpredictable. As my friend, Tom Haupt (http://www.tomhaupt.com/)of Klemmer & Associates says, "It makes you feel like you are going to throw up." That, Tom says, is when you know you are out of your comfort zone. That is where success sits and waits.

But why should we be scared? Because sticking our necks out means we have to perform. Anyone can talk a good game, but when the rubber hits the road, we need to perform. Mary Welchell of The Christian Working Woman (http://www.christianworkingwoman.org) once said on her radio broadcast, "Everyone can sound impressive, but after about fifteen minutes you better know something." For some, that can be too much and they drop out of the game. For others it is a chance of a lifetime.

Don't believe me? Do you remember what happened to Drew Bledsoe? New England Patriot Quarterback? That's right! Choke! And who was there on the sidelines waiting, just waiting, for his moment? Tom Brady.

That reminds me. Right now there is some young gun sitting out there waiting for me to go home early or take a random day off so he or she can get off the bench and take away what I have worked hard for. Don't even think about it, kid. I do just fine in the throw-up zone, thank you very much. Game on.

3 comments:

  1. Great post, Joanne, and certainly timely for me. I love that you provided new language for me -- the throw-up zone -- and when I feel it, I'd better be ready to perform. I have a couple of those coming up this year and will reflect on your post as I prepare and hope to bring on even more. Game on -- touche!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm chasing down my passion like it's the last bus of the night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, when you finally get off of the sideline and follow your dreams nothing can stop you.

    ReplyDelete