Saturday, August 25, 2012

My mom would have been proud of me today. Our softball team won the Championship Tournament this afternoon.Yes, I know it was a Church league. Yes, I know it was slow pitch. However, this 44-year-old recently-injured player pitched two games in the heat and we came out on top. Bet your bippie I kept the game ball.
We had such a good team this year. Many women showed up each week to play (we are required to have two playing each game) and our regulars really had a great reason.
When my mom died a few years ago, many (almost all) of her friends showed up to the wake in their softball uniforms. I should explain that. She had been in high school at the time Title IX passed, allowing girls to play in league sports. So she was one of the first to sign up. Many years later, she started a women's softball league in her retirement community, The Villages, in Florida. She even took that team to the Senior Olympics! Most importantly, to me, she was my first softball coach in 4th grade.
So even though today was Church league slow pitch, I am pretty happy to be continuing the tradition of kicking butt in softball. Did I mention my daughter was on the team this year? The tradition continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment